Monday 7 May 2012

Blood Lamp

How many times would you turn on the light, if every turn costs you a drop of your blood?

In many countries, turning on the light is merely a simple click away. In many places such as in my schools, I have seen people turning on the light and leaving it on even when no one is in the room. Another case is when students are freezing and putting on their hoodies and jackets because the room is too cold; they could just adjust the temperature of the air-condition instead. Often, most of us have take electricity for granted and have never really thought about the consequences of consuming so much electricity in a day. 


Mike Thompson's Blood Lamp actually makes the user think twice before lighting a lamp. This lamp, which can only be lighted up with one's blood and can only be lighted up once, forces the user to light up the lamp only when light is really needed. This thus
 also forces the user to "rethink how wasteful they are with energy, and how precious it is." (Source)


For more information and a video clip of how Blood Lamp actually works, check out: http://www.miket.co.uk/blood_lamp.html

I love to always think the Earth doesn't belong to us; instead, we belong to the Earth. This makes us subservient in comparison to Earth, for it is Earth's generosity that allows us to set up our homes on this place. Instead of repaying kindness with kindness, we take for granted of the natural resources that are given to us and exploit whatever is available to satisfy our convenience. I'm not a green person; I use plastic utensils, I use plastic bags, etc... But, I am trying to become a more environmentally-friendly person. Baby steps; I hope Singapore will gradually become more environmentally conscious and Singaporeans will be more active in recycling programs.


But how ironic... I am typing this on my laptop with my room's light switched on at 1.33 AM. Perhaps sleeping early and waking up early (tapping on daylight!) is another way to conserve the Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment